An office is a place full of electronics, power cords and surge protects. A simple look at your office desk will reveal the volume of electrical at your disposal. Most of these have become an important part of any office that we seldom think about the dangers they bring. Electrical burns, shocks, and even fires are some of the accidents that can happen at the office if you don’t handle your electrical components with care. Let’s take a look at the do’s and don’ts of caring for electrics in the office.
Do not overload circuits and outlets
Even if you have a surge protector, this cannot protect you and your office from the potential the dangers brought by an overloaded circuit. If your circuit interrupter is constantly resetting, that could be an indication that the circuit is overloaded. The circuits used in most offices and homes are 15-25 amps. As such, plugging the refrigerator, coffeemaker, laptop, and space heater at the same time can make the circuit overload, creating potential fire hazards or electric shock. In this respect, do not plug more than one device that uses high voltage into an outlet and don’t plug surge protectors into other ones.
Use cords with care
You probably have a number of extension cords and power cords throughout the office. If not maintained, utilised, or placed properly, these can create multiple hazards.
- It is not advisable that you plug two extension cords together. If many extension cords are in use, consider installing additional outlets.
- Store the cords well. Do not fasten them with staples, nails, or use a wire to suspend them. On the same note, do not cover them with anything that could easily catch fire.
- Ensure that your cords are not running through high-traffic areas, doorways or walkways where they can make people passing trip and fall.
- Store cords with care. For instance, they should not be tied in knots because this can cause the broken wire underneath to short circuit.
When not in use, it is advisable that you unplug all your extension cords. This can prevent potential fire hazards in case of a surge. Also, remember to store your extension cords indoor and away from water.
In addition to the above, remember to use electrical equipment that is certified by the relevant authorities. Also, remember to use extensions and cords for their intended use. Do not use electrical appliances and electrical when the equipment or your hands are wet. Besides that, make sure that any exposed electrical components or wires are properly guarded or covered.
There will come a time when you will need to replace some, or all, of the electrical equipment that you have at the office. For example, you may need new scanners, computers or printers. Simply throwing away these often hurts the environment and is definitely not the option you should be settling for. UK laws actually require that business ensure goods are recovered and recycled and must comply with WEEE (Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment) regulations. You can find all you need to know about WEEE online, so there is no excuse for your business not to be complying with the guidelines.
Taking care while using electrical at the office is very important as this prevents potential hazards that can be costly, both in terms of safety and having to pay for repairs and replacements. Proper use of electricals not only enhances security, but also lengthens the life of such components.